The elbows are hinge joints, meaning they only move back and forth in one direction. This makes them relatively stable; even so, they are still susceptible to both acute injuries and wear and tear complications. Our chiropractor in Boca Raton, FL, Dr. Ernest S. Caruso has worked with many people struggling with elbow pain and offers natural and non-invasive healing solutions.
Common Causes & Symptoms of Elbow Pain
Pain and dysfunction in the elbow can be caused by a wide number of factors. Here are a few of the most common causes we see:
- Repetitive movement, especially overhead or fine motor tasks (often during sports or work)
- Referred pain from pinched nerves in the spine
- Direct trauma, often during slips and falls or contact sports
- Age-related wear and tear (osteoarthritis)
- The presence of another underlying health condition, such as rheumatoid arthritis or gout
These factors can lead to problems like joint space narrowing, joint space inflammation, muscle spasms or irritation, ligament sprains, epicondylitis (tennis elbow and golfer's elbow), or bursitis.
Signs and symptoms of elbow dysfunction may include pain (often described as dull, achy, or throbbing), swelling and tenderness at the joint, audible or palpable grinding or clicking in the joint, decreased range of motion in the arm (especially with pronation and supination—turning your palm down or up), difficulty grasping or picking up objects, difficulty turning doorknobs and opening jars, weakness in the arm or hand, or even numbness and tingling in the fingers (if nerve impingement is involved).
How Chiropractic Care Helps Heal Elbow Injuries
Dr. Caruso offers several chiropractic care techniques to help people resolve their elbow pain, understand and correct the contributing factors, and avoid recurring problems in the future which could otherwise keep them out of work or sport. Such services and techniques include:
- Joint mobilizations at both the elbow and spine: restore normal joint space, reduce pain, eliminate pressure on involved nerves (if any), and stimulate the release of pain-relieving chemical mediators within the body
- Corrective exercises: customized to promote tissue healing, reduced swelling and eventually improved strength of the connective tissues at your elbow
- Nutritional counseling: adopt an anti-inflammatory diet to accelerate healing
- Massage therapy: facilitate healing by improving circulation, reducing pain, and relieving physical/mental stress
- Postural and ergonomic screenings: determine ways to move better and more efficiently at work or during sports to reduce recurring irritation
Contact Our Boca Raton Chiropractor Today to Schedule Your Appointment
Don't ignore your elbow pain! Contact our Boca Raton chiropractor now by calling the Boca Health & Wellness Center at (561) 447-2228.